Friday, March 4, 2011

First Chapter Done!

Well, I should say that the prologue is done. I sat down and banged out the last two scenes, and that ended up totaling around 1,200 words bringing the length of the prologue to just under 3,000 words. I'd say that's pretty decent for a chapter with a good bit of set up intermixed with action.

I had originally planned on having seven scenes in my prologue, but once I got to the fifth scene I didn't think it made sense to have all seven. One of the scenes was repetitive, and the other was history that is mostly irrelevant to the story.

I have not read through the prologue yet to see if the flow is good, or if it makes sense. I want to keep moving forward with the story while the thoughts are fresh in my mind. When presented with the options of beginning Chapter One, and going over the prologue with a fine tooth comb, I am more excited by the first option.

I really can't wait to start writing the first chapter. It should have a good bit of action in it, and it's the first chapter with the main character in it. Currently I have it set up to be three scenes so it will probably come in between 1,500 and 2,000 words. I don't know what I'm going to do for Chapter Two yet, but I will probably think of something by Monday which is likely when I will have the real Chapter One finished by.

I had an idea for a scene that was in my prologue, and that helped me create the rest of the prologue as I was writing. As I wrote the prologue I came up with an idea for the first chapter. I will likely know vaguely what I want to do in the second chapter while I am writing the first one, but I do not know now. You don't have to know what your entire story is going to be in order to start writing. Just take it one step at a time, and before you know it you've taken a lot of steps, and have written a lot of pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment