Sunday, March 6, 2011

Revising Ideas While You Write

Does anyone else do that? I started writing tonight with the plan of writing two out of three scenes for Chapter Two. By the time I had finished writing the second scene I decided that it seemed to make more sense ending the chapter there. So I made a new folder called Chapter Three and moved my third scene there, and added a second scene to end the Chapter. If all goes according to plan I should be able to write Chapter Three in it's entirety tomorrow.

I know some people are highly organized. I would consider myself highly organized, but also somewhat chaotic. I guess what I mean by that is that I don't have everything planned out, but the stuff that I do have planned out is organized. Other people, like my brother, just sit down and start writing with no written down plan of what is going to happen. Myself, I am a bit different. I have a general idea of what I want to happen in the last chapter of the book, but other than that I don't have much. I only think one chapter ahead. I plan out what the chapter is going to accomplish, and then I write it. After that I plan what the next chapter is going to include, and then I write that.

If there was someone reading my story as I wrote it they would have about as much of a clue as to what's going to happen next as I do. Maybe it's better that way. I'm sure that there are some people out there who plan every single aspect of their book before they write it, but that's not me. I don't think I could come up with that much creative material without being involved in the actual story as it unfolds.

I think that's where the magic happens. When you're busy writing, and you stray from the mold. You do something unexpected. Something even you didn't anticipate when you started writing that day.

What about you guys? Do you come up with your best stuff before you start writing, or while you're writing?

1 comment:

  1. Actually, I will write Chapter Three, and then reassess if it should be merged with Chapter Two, or remain separate. Would probably go from two 1000 word chapters to one 2000 word chapters.

    ReplyDelete